Thursday, July 22, 2010

RN, BScN

At 12:30 this afternoon as I was sitting in my Nursing Orientation I got a txt from my mom that said "You've got mail". My heart started pounding, I became restless, and I am sure my blood pressure sky rocketed. The wait was almost over. I knew when I got home this piece of mail would change my life forever. I've been grumpy, stressed, and sick to my stomach most of the week in anticipation of the information this envelope contained.

Since January, I've felt like I've been jumping through hoops to get to the point where I can write the letters RN, BScN behind my name. The journey I started four years ago was finally coming to an end, but it seemed as there were still so many things keeping me from reaching the finish line. My last term of school was by far the most challenging as it felt like every aspect of my life was turned upside down or moving at an uncontrollable speed. My mission was simple. Finish the term with good marks, study for the CRNE, write the exam, graduate, get my temp RN license, and start my new job.

As each task was crossed off my list, feelings of excitement consumed me as I was getting closer and closer to the finish line. Receiving my degree was overwhelming as I realized that finally all my hard work had paid off. The first time I signed "RN Temp" behind my name instead of my student signature was when it started to sink in that I was working as a nurse.  The best part of it all was that my dreams were actually coming true right in front of my eyes. However, there was only one catch. With one letter in the mail all of it could disappear. I was terrified. I feel like I've been holding my breath waiting for the other shoe to drop all week.

When I finally got home today and opened the mail the first line of the letter read "We are pleased to inform you that you have been successful on your June 2, 2030 Canadian Registered Nurse Examination". I PASSED!!! My reaction was one that I wasn't expecting...usually I'm so excited I can't contain myself with big news like this, but today was different. I just closed my eyes, tilted my head back and breathed a sigh of relief. I finally made it! The marathon is finally over!

I am a Registered Nurse!

Yours Nursingly,
L

No comments:

Post a Comment