Thursday, August 5, 2010

Fresh Air

Sometimes I find myself taking the simplest things in life for granted. I was talking with one of my patients the other day and they were telling me they went outside for the first time in over eight weeks. It was the first time in eight weeks they were able to take a breath of fresh air, hear all the city sounds, and listen the birds chirping. The weather that day was absolutely beautiful. You know, one of those days where there is not one cloud in the sky, the sun is shining, and the sky is as blue as can be. I could tell how much they enjoyed this through the sheer excitement on their face and in their voice. They were so proud of this accomplishment and I was proud of them too.

As I was leaving their room I thought to myself, "when was the last time I stopped to enjoy a beautiful day? To merely appreciate the fact that every day I walk out my front door and take a breath of fresh air?" I wonder, what other simple things in life have I been taking for granted lately?

Yours Nursingly,
L

1 comment:

  1. You're so right, Larissa! I appreciate now that I'm back from Lebanon, where trees and nature in general in the city are rare, how much greenery and SPACE we have here in Canada, among many other priviledges. Taking things for granted is so easy to do!

    What a nice story about your patient though :)

    ReplyDelete